7 questions about teeth: the dentist answers
Oddly enough, most of us do not know how to properly care for the oral cavity. The most relevant questions are answered by the Associate Professor of Moscow State University of Medicine and Dentistry Evgeny Solovykh.
1. Do toothpastes differ from each other or is it just advertising?
Toothpastes are really different. To choose the one you need, carefully study the composition. Pastes come in three forms:
1. Hygienic – only clean teeth
2. Therapeutic and preventive – prevent the occurrence of diseases
3. Medicinal, as it is easy to guess, treat.
To reduce the risk of caries, strengthen teeth and create a protective layer, fluoride and potassium are needed. Look for them in the composition of therapeutic and prophylactic paste. For periodontal disease need funds with triclosan, metronidazole, zinc compounds.
If your teeth react to hot, cold, sweet foods, then choose a medical paste with hydroxyapatite, dicalcium phosphate dihydrate, biologically active calcium chloride or potassium nitrate. They reduce sensitivity.
2. If wisdom teeth grow painfully, crookedly, is it possible to immediately tear them out and not to suffer?
If wisdom teeth are crooked, damaged, or sore, it is best to remove them. Sometimes they do not grow at all. But for the other teeth it is necessary to fight and, before removing, persistently try to save them.
By the way, about wisdom! Doctors have noticed that the more teeth a person has, the better the chewing muscles work, the blood flow to the carotid artery and through it to the brain is activated. More teeth – better thought!
3. Is it possible to whiten your teeth?
“Whitening” pastes sold in pharmacies, not very much change the color of teeth. You can whiten your teeth at the doctor with the help of professional tools, such as gels with hydrogen peroxide. Whiteness will last from six months to a year. But this procedure harms the teeth: it breaks the protective film of enamel. Keep in mind: your teeth will become lighter if you stop smoking.
4. If the tooth is sick, and the doctor is far away, how to help yourself?
Drink any painkiller. Rinse your mouth with water at a temperature that is comfortable for you with soda. And more: try to relieve pain with acupuncture. In Eastern medicine, it is believed that there are dots on the nail plate of the thumbs connected to the mouth.
So, the hole is a projection of the upper jaw, the end of the nail and finger – the lower jaw. For example, if you have a pain in the lower tooth from the left side, press the nail of the thumb of one hand with all your strength on the nail at the end of the thumb of the other hand. Press until the pain subsides.
5. What foods and drinks are good for your teeth?
Any tea is useful – there is a lot of fluorine in it, and in fish – “deposits” of calcium and phosphorus.
6. When is it best to go to the dentist?
Some doctors say that the sensitivity of our body to pain varies throughout the day. The pain is most easily tolerated at 4 pm. Afraid – go to the reception at this time. In many ways, the fear depends on your mood and on the doctor.
Tell yourself: if necessary, I will receive an anesthetic injection. Sit in a chair, take a few shallow breaths and exhalations and try to relax. A good doctor is always a little psychotherapist, he will help you feel comfortable.
7. How good is the electric brush?
She is good for those who are very lazy. But this device makes the same type of movement, which in some cases may contribute to the erasure of enamel. This brush is not suitable for people with sensitive teeth. By the way, you need to change the nozzles of the electric brush as often as regular brushes, only it will take much more money.
* Visit the dentist every six months. Consultation is usually free.
* Do not save on the purchase of a toothbrush. Cheaper are most often made from materials unsuitable for cleaning teeth. Buy brushes only at the pharmacy and change in two – two and a half months. Otherwise, germs accumulate and the brush becomes a source of infection.
* The space between the teeth clean the floss-threads.
* Carefully brush your teeth for at least 5 minutes 2-3 times a day, and preferably after each meal. If not, rinse your mouth with water.
* Plaque and stones on the teeth should be regularly removed in the dental clinic. Do not refuse to cover your teeth with a protective fluoride film every six months or a year. The film increases the resistance of enamel, does not leach calcium.
How to save?
* Often when choosing a toothpaste, its composition is more important than the manufacturer. For example, sodium fluoride and triclosan are the main components of expensive imported paste and home-made pasta, which is more affordable. If you do not overpay “for the brand”, then you can save 50%.
* Experts say that medicinal substances in toothpastes are present in such microscopic doses, that the effect of them is minimal, and the main thing is not what to brush your teeth, but how. Therefore, mechanical purification is more important.
* Buying pasta in a large package is always much more profitable than in a small one. And since the shelf life of toothpaste on average 1.5-2 years.